Registration Information

Information take directly from Hawaii Public Schools: How to Enroll  Parents and StudentsEnrolling in SchoolHow to Enroll

 How to Enroll

Students enrolling in our public schools must have documentation proving they are residents of the state, their health records and, if necessary, documents from their previous school and other legal documents. Resources and opt-outs exist for students in exceptional circumstances. The necessary information is detailed here.​​​​

What to bring: Student Health Record

We work in conjunction with the Department of Health to ensure that students meet key health and immunization requirements. The Department of Health breaks down immunization requirements by grade segment. Key highlights:

  • Physical exam must have been taken in the past 12 months. An appointment slip is acceptable for conditional admission. Military may take out-of-state physical results and shot record to base/post clinic to have them transcribed to Hawaii’s Student Health Record.
  • Immunizations must be up to date. Signed statement from physician indicating student has begun vaccination series and is waiting for the next dose in the series is acceptable for conditional admission.
  • Tuberculosis examination. All students enrolling in a Hawaii school for the first time must take a tuberculosis test. For more information and availability of clinics, please visit the Hawaii State Department of Health website.
  • If your child has an inhaler or auto-injectable epinephrine, bring the attached release form.

What to bring: Birth certificate

If a student is from a foreign country, the student’s passport or student visa is acceptable.

What to bring: Proof of current address

The following guidelines may be used for verification of residence:

  • Proof of Residence: Documentation by the parent or legal guardian that the child resides at an address within the school’s attendance boundary. (Link to our SchoolSite Locator​ to see school district boundaries and explore school locations.)
  • Preferred documentation to establish proof of residence includes the following. A school may request one or more of the following be provided.
  1. Rental/lease agreement, mortgage document or current real property assessment document in the parent/guardian’s name.
  2. Utility bill for water, electric, gas or telephone that indicates that the billing is in the parent/guardian’s name and is being sent to the house; and
  3. If the parent or legal guardian cannot provide documentation of legal residence because the parent/legal guardian is living with a relative/friend, a notarized statement by the relative/friend can be accepted by the school with the following stipulation: (a) Notarized statement must state that the parent/legal guardian and child are living with the relative/friend; (b) Notarized statement must state the name of relative/friend that is on the relative/friend’s proof of legal residence; (c) Notarized statement must state the same address of relative/friend that is on the relative/friend’s proof of legal residence; (d) A copy of the relative/friend’s proof of legal residence must be attached to the notarized statement; and (e) Notarized statement must be signed by same name of relative/friend that is on the relative/friend’s proof of legal residence.
  • Falsification of documents submitted is subject to penalty under Hawaii Revised Statutes 710-1063, resulting in the child being sent back to the school where he/she should properly be attending. The Department may pursue prosecution at its discretion.
  • Children experiencing homelessness​ are covered by enrollment guidelines provided in the McKinney-Vento Act.

What to bring: Documents from a previous school

These can include a release packet with an unofficial transcript or latest report card, and for special education students, the Individual Education Plan.

What to bring: Legal Documents

Includes Power of Attorney if the child is not living with the parents.

Advisory: Data Collection on Race and Ethnicity

​The U.S. Department of Education requires that all states report the race and ethnicity of students enrolling in public school. The state of Hawaii does not report individual information, but reports total counts of students by different sub-group categories of race and ethnicity. Although you have the right as a parent to decline to provide this information to the school, Federal rules require that every student be assigned an ethnicity and/or race category. The schools will designate a category in the event a parent declines to provide that information.

Hawaii Public Schools: How to Enroll